- Greenwood Gardens is a smoke-free environment.
- Picnics are not permitted in the Garden. Please use the tables on the west terrace of the main house for any food or refreshments you bring with you.
- Deposit trash and recyclables in designated receptacles located on the terraces of the main house.
- Organized gatherings and private events are not permitted on the grounds of Greenwood Gardens.
- The following are not permitted: dog-walking, sunbathing, feeding wildlife, smoking, playing audible music, tree climbing, picking flowers, tripods and easels, and walking in plant beds.
- Amateur photography with cell phones or point and shoot cameras is allowed.
Single lens reflex cameras, tripods, large still or video photography equipment are not allowed. Kite or drone photography is not allowed. Guests registered for a Greenwood Gardens photography class may use single lens reflex cameras, tripods and equipment during class hours only. Photography is permitted for personal use only. Please, do not step into or place tripods in garden beds and respect the wishes of other visitors.
- Please refrain from wading or playing in ponds or water features.
- To protect our plant collections, active sports or games are not permitted in the gardens, including: Frisbee, bicycling, jogging, rollerblading, skating, ball-playing, kites, etc.
- No fires, alcohol, or portable radios.
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times.
- Certified service dogs are welcomed, but please leave your pets at home.
- Please silence your cell phone. Consider your visit as an opportunity to escape from technological intrusions.
- Photography is permitted for personal use only. Please, do not step into or place tripods in garden beds and respect the wishes of other visitors. Professional Photographers: Please be aware that there are fees to use Greenwood Gardens as the location for professional photography.
- Sturdy walking shoes are recommended.
The restored Main Terrace with partial view of the Gardens is accessible to all visitors. The remainder of the historic landscape at Greenwood Gardens is not handicapped or stroller accessible and the uneven terrain can be difficult to navigate. Certified service dogs are welcome.
Comfortable outdoor walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing are recommended.
To help protect yourself against ticks, which are prevalent in New Jersey, please use tick spray and check yourself for ticks after leaving.
Q: Are tours available?
A: Guided tours are available by advance reservation. Click here to learn more.
Q: Are the Main House or Cottages open for tours?
A: At this time, the Main House is used primarily for administrative offices. A small gift shop is open to visitors in the Main House. It is located off the east terrace. During the winter holidays, the house is may be open for special tours. The Cottages are closed to visitors.
Q: Are the gardens wheelchair accessible?
A: Greenwood Gardens varied terrain in the unrestored garden areas is not wheelchair accessible. The restored Main Terrace and public restrooms are accessible to all visitors.
Q: Are photographs allowed?
A: Photography for personal use is permitted. Professional and commercial photography, including family portraits, graduation photographs, wedding and engagement photography require a permit. For more information on Greenwood Gardens photography policies, please phone us at 973.258.4026.
Q: Is there a café at Greenwood Gardens?
A: Food and beverages are not sold at Greenwood. There are a variety of eateries just minutes from the garden.